What Is Chickenpox?
Chickenpox is a common illness characterized by itchy rash or red spots or blisters all over the body. This is caused by the Varicella zoster virus. Chickenpox is common in children, but most people will get chickenpox at least once in their life. This disease spreads easily. It can spread through the airborne droplets from the infected person or when a person comes in contact with the fluid from the blisters. A person with chickenpox can spread the diseases even before symptoms appear in person. The first symptoms of chickenpox include fever, headache, and sore throat. The rash appears one or two days after the first symptoms start. The spots will go through the different stages, and it will take at least 10 days for all the blisters to form the crust after the first symptoms start. In most of the cases, chicken pox only needs home treatment. The home remedies help to reduce the irritation and clearing the scars.
Here are some of the home remedies for chickenpox:
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda cleanses the skin and reduces the irritation.
- Mix ½ teaspoon of baking soda in one glass of water
- Sponge the affected person with this solution
- When baking soda dries on the skin, it reduces itching.
Honey has the ability to heal and remove the scars. Applying honey will heal the rash and provide relief from itchiness.
- Smear pure honey on the scabs 2-3 times daily to clear the scars.
3. Oat Meal
Itchiness is the greatest problem with chickenpox. Oatmeal bath can give relief from this itchiness.
- Take two cups of powdered oatmeal
- Put this powder in one liter of water for 10-15 minutes.
- Put this mix into a cloth bag and tie it.
- Drop the bag into the bathing water and wait till the water changes to milky in appearance. Take a bath in this water.
4. Green Peas
Green peace reduces the irritation caused by itching.
- Take 200 grams of boiled green peas
- Crush the green peas to make a paste
- Apply it over the rash and leave it for one hour
- Neem has high antiseptic property and is used for treating various skin problems. Applying the paste of neem leaves reduces itching and makes the healing faster.
- Make a paste of neem leaves with water and apply it on the rash.
- Wash it off after 10-15 minutes.
- Smoke from the burning of neem leaves helps to kill the viruses present in the air. This will prevent the spread of the disease to other people.
- You can also take bath in water in which neem leaves are boiled to reduce itching.
Turmeric also has antiseptic and anti bacterial property. You can use turmeric in different ways
- Bath in warm water with 2-3 teaspoon of turmeric added to it to reduce itching and to improve healing.
- You can make a paste of turmeric and neem leaves and apply it on the rash to remove the scars caused by chickenpox.
7. Brown Vinegar
This is one of the most commonly used remedy for chicken pox.
- Take ½ cup of brown vinegar and it to lukewarm bath water.
- Take bath using this water to get relief from skin irritation and to heal the lesions.
8. Sandal Wood Oil
This is used to treat the various symptoms of chickenpox.
- Take pure sandalwood oil and apply it on the rashes caused by chickenpox.
- Regular application of sandalwood oil will prevent the scarring.
9. Vitamin E Oil
This is another effective remedy for treating the chickenpox and to remove the scars.
- Take vitamin E oil and apply it on the skin.
- This will help to heal the blisters as well as to fade away the marks caused by chickenpox.
10. Herbal Tea
Having herbal tea made of certain ingredients is found to be effective in the treatment of chickenpox.
- Prepare herbal tea using any of the herbs like basil, chamomile, marigold flowers or lemon balm.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 1 tsp. honey and 1tsp of lemon juice to it.
- Drink this tea 3-4 times a day to heal the lesions faster.
Ginger can reduce the itching as they have the anti-bacterial property.
- Take dry ginger powder and add 2-3 teaspoons to your bathing water
- You can also make a drink using ginger. Boil small chunks of ginger in a cup of water for five minutes and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink this solution to fasten the healing process.
12. Calamine Lotion
Calamine lotion relieves the itching.
- Take bath in warm water and dry the body.
- Apply calamine lotion on to the skin.
- Repeat the remedy 2-3 times daily to get better results.
13. Avoid Spicy And Oily Food
You should avoid spicy food especially if you have lesions inside the mouth. Spicy and oily food may cause sweating which will aggravate the lesions.
- Eat bland and less oily food for ten to fifteen days or until the lesions subsides.
14. Carrot And Coriander Soup
- Cut 100 grams of carrots and 60 grams of fresh coriander leaves.
- Add this to two cups of boiling water for a while. Now, drink this soup without the residue. Continue this for a few days to treat chicken pox effectively.
15. Taking Proper Rest
Rest is very essential to treat chicken pox effectively.
- Lie down in bed in a room that is quite airy for most of the time to get rid of chicken pox effectively.
- Make sure that you shade your eyes from sunlight or penetrating light. But, be in a room that is well ventilated.
Are you suffering from chicken pox? Do you find it difficult to cope with chicken pox? Then, try out these home remedies to easily get rid of chicken pox and to return to normal activities in quick time.