A double chin is subcutaneous fat deposition found under the lower jaw and around the neck which makes the tissues to sag down creating an appearance of having a second chin. Any person can develop a double chin depending on the bone structure and amount fat deposition in the chin region, but are more common in people who are obese or aged. Double chin will be more visible when the lower jaw is moved down or when the head of the person is tilted down. In some people heredity is the cause for double chin. It is possible to avoid double chin with some extra effort.
What Are The Problems With Double Chin?
The main problem with double chin is that they are ugly to look at and it upsets the person having it.
- Some people think that double chin is an indication that they are not in the best physical shape.
- It can make people feel that they are overweight, unattractive and old.
- This will create distress in some people and affect their self esteem.
- Some people try to avoid socializing due to this problem.
Though there are many methods like cosmetic surgeries and liposuction to remove the problem, it is possible to get rid of double chin by making lifestyle changes and having some home remedies to prevent or reduce the problem.
What Causes A Double Chin?
To get rid of double chin successfully it is necessary to know the exact reason for the development of a double chin in a person. The important causes for double chin are:
- Excess weight
1. Genetic Cause
To make sure whether you are having a double chin due to genetic cause you can look at the members in the family and find out if some of them are having a double chin.
- If many members in your family are having double chin, then your condition will also be due to genetics
- The fat storage and water retention in the body are decided by the genes present in the body and these two are the main things which cause a double chin in people.
- The diet habit of the family also plays an important role in deciding the development of a double chin in a person.
Most people believe that if you are predisposed to develop double chin, then it is difficult to get rid of the double chin. This is not entirely true. It is possible to make changes in your genetically caused double chin by making necessary lifestyle choices.
- This is another major cause for double chin in people who are over middle age. The fat deposition, muscle loss and loosening of the skin are all caused by aging.
- When the muscles losses its strength and skin loses its elasticity it leads to the development of double chin.
- Muscle strengthening exercises are effective in reducing double chins in middle aged people.
- Facial and jaw muscle exercises slow down the appearance of aging changes in the face
3. Excess Weight
This is considered as the most common cause for double chin development in people.
- If you are overweight or have excess fat deposits in the body, you can naturally expect double chin.
- Even people who are not obese but are regularly having a fatty diet can develop double chin, if they do not exercise.
- If overweight is the reason for your double chin, then it is easy to get rid of your double chin by getting rid of the fat deposits in your body.
How To Get Rid Of Double Chin?
Genetics, age and obesity can contribute to the double chin; however there are certain methods which will help you to get rid of double chin this includes
- Cosmetic Procedures – procedures such as lipolysis, liposuction, face lifting, etc. are helpful in completely removing a double chin, but these procedures are costly and cannot be afforded by all.
- Healthy Lifestyle– Which includes proper diet which prevents fat deposition in the body. This will certainly improve your chances of avoiding double chin or reducing the present double chin.
- Over The Counter Creams And Medications – there are different neck firming products available in the market which claims to get rid of double chin. Some of these products will contain natural products. The effectiveness of these creams is not guaranteed.
- Exercises– the general exercises of the body to make your body fit and special exercises for the muscles supporting the chin to get rid of double chin
- Having Proper Posture– Improper jaw alignment or slouching causes the muscles of the chin. Jaw and neck become weak. Sitting in right posture with your back upright, shoulders kept back and your head held in a proper way reduces the chances of developing a double chin.
- Home Remedies – there are many home remedies which are used by people over many generations to remove double chin.
Advantages Of Home Remedies For Double Chin
• These remedies are safe to use as most of them are based on natural products or proven practices.
• Continuous use of these remedies will provide you with the result you wanted.
• Most of these remedies are cheap and are easily available.
• You don’t have to visit the cosmetology clinic to get rid of the double chin problem.
• You have nothing to lose from trying the home remedy
The only thing is that you will have to find out which remedy will work for you and the home remedies will take time to give results. Some of the important home remedies for getting rid of double chin are discussed below.
Home Remedies For Double Chin
Sugar Free Gum
It is necessary to keep the muscles of the face and neck toned to remove double chin. The best way to give exercise to these muscles is by using chewing gum. Gums with sugar content will increase your sugar intake and it will adversely affect you, if you want to reduce your weight to avoid double chin. So, use sugar free gum to give work out to your facial muscles and muscles of your jaw line to get back the shape of your chin.
Wheat Germ Oil
This is another home remedy to alleviate the problem of double chin. Do neck massages using the wheat germ oil to get rid of a double chin. Giving massage using wheat germ oil will nourish your skin in the area and will also help to tighten the skin under the chin. The massage strokes should be from the bottom of the neck to the chin or about 10- 15 minutes before going to bed. Leave the oil overnight and wash it off next morning. If done regularly, this method can give best result.
You can use an egg white facial mask to get rid of double chin. To make this mask, take the egg whites of two eggs and mix it with a tablespoon of milk, one teaspoon of peppermint oil, one tablespoon of lemon juice and one tablespoon of honey. Whisk all the ingredients thoroughly and apply the mask around your chin and neck. Allow the mask to dry for half an hour. Rinse it off with warm water and pat dry the skin. The egg white provides good health to the skin also helps in removing the water retention in the area. Apply this mask once daily to get faster results.
Vitamin E is necessary for maintaining the health of the skin. Including more vitamin E in your diet reduces the chances of saggy skin. Vitamin E increases the elasticity of the skin and hence reduces the double chin. The main source of vitamin E includes brown rice, leafy vegetables, dairy products, legumes, sweet corn, apples, soybeans, liver, etc. Include some of these items in your daily diet to get rid of double chin.
Massaging the chin and neck with cocoa butter will help to solve the problem of double chin massaging increases the blood flow to the chin and keep the skin healthy. The cocoa butter helps to maintain the elasticity of the skin. Take two table spoon of cocoa butter and slightly warm it. Use this warm cocoa butter to massage the double chin. Massage the area for at least 10 minutes to get the result faster. Do the process regularly to get rid of your double chin.
This method is highly helpful in reducing the problem of double chin there are several simple exercises like rotating your neck clockwise and anticlockwise, keeping your mouth open for a few seconds and closing it, which will help to reduce double chin. You will have to follow the chin exercises several times in a day to get the best possible results.
Laugh And Talk More
Talking and laughing are good exercise for the chin just like chewing. When you talk and laugh your facial muscles get a good workout and this reduces the double chin.
Melon helps to reduce double chin as the melon juice acts as a skin toner.
• Take the fresh melon juice and apply it on the chin and neck area using a cotton ball.
• Leave the juice on the skin for about 15-20 minutes and clean the area with fresh water.
• If you want to get better result you can mix apple juice with melon juice and apply it on the chin and massage it for a few minutes.
• Consuming melon helps you to reduce weight. Melon contains more water and it helps to flush out the toxins from your body.
• It also helps to reduce food cravings when you are on a diet to reduce weight to remove the double chin.
Glycerin mask is another home remedy to get rid of double chin. Mix one tablespoon of glycerin, half tablespoon of Epsom salt and few drops of peppermint oil. Apply this mix directly onto the chin and neck area like a mask using cotton ball. Leave the mask on the chin for half an hour so that all the nutrients are absorbed properly. Glycerin helps to maintain the moisture of the skin and Epson salt reduces water retention. Wash the area with cool water after half an hour. Apply this mask 3 to 5 times daily to get positive results.
It is necessary to drink plenty of water, if you want to get rid of your double chin. Drinking more water helps in the proper removal of fat from the body. It is necessary to drink at least 8-10 glasses of water daily to reduce double chin. You can increase your water intake by having fruits and vegetables that are high in water content like cucumber, melon, lettuce, etc. Limit the intake of beverages like coffee, tea, carbonated drinks and alcohol. Replace these beverages with water, if you want to get faster results.
Green tea has the ability to increase the metabolic rate and this will help to burn extra fat from the body. The antioxidants present in green tea help to remove the toxins from the body. So, if you want to avoid or get rid of double chin you have to avoid your caffeine intake and drink more green tea. Drinking several cups of green tea will help to keep your metabolic rate increased and this will result in more calorie burning. You can choose any flavor of green tea suitable to you.
You can use chin wraps to remove the excess fat under your chin. You can make your own homemade mineral oil wrap. Apply mineral oil under your chin using a cotton ball and wrap it with plastic wrap and cover it with a warm towel. Leave the wrap in position for about 45 minutes. This method will provide immediate improvement to the area.
Are you a middle aged person having a double chin? Do you want to avoid the costly methods of removing a double chin? Then you can try some of the methods given here to get rid of the double chin in the safest way.