Nowadays most people lead hectic lifestyles. For that, there is a considerable amount of stress faced by most people in their lives. It is known that stress does not produce good effects on the health. If one faces stress for a long period of time it can cause negative effects on the body, behavior and moods. It can also adversely affect short term as well as long term physical problems such as learning abilities, impaired memory, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and a compromised immune system. There are many ways to reduce stress such as taking up yoga, exercise and even the right food in order to counteract stress.
Top 15 Super Foods to Fight Stress
1. Green Tea
Green tea has many helpful properties which can help to reduce stress and calm the mind.
• Green tea contains powerful antioxidants such as flavonoids, polyphenols catechins among others
• These antioxidants help to create a positive mod
• They can bring on a calming effect on the mind and body
If one is undergoing a stressful situation, it is best to opt for several cups of green tea during the day. It is also preferable to opt for black tea as well. Both types of tea are known to have beneficial plant compounds that can help to counteract the effects of stress on our lives.
Blueberries have many benefits and most of them also prove effective towards handling stress.
• Blueberries are packed with antioxidants which can help to reduce the stress levels
• The vitamins C and E that these berries contain as well as minerals like manganese and magnesium are helpful when it comes to handling the effects of stress
• If the blueberries are consumed regularly you will be able to handle insomnia, mood disorders and depression
This fruit is beneficial in many ways. One can even use these berries to make shakes and desserts of they are trying to lose weight.
You might have scoffed at your mom when she told you to drink milk regularly, but research shows that milk intake on a regular basis can help to counteract stress.
• Even a glass of skim milk has good amount of antioxidants
• There are essential vitamins and minerals like vitamins A, D as well as calcium and protein
• Free radicals that are released when one is stressed are fought by such nutrients
• One will surely feel calmer when one drinks a glass of milk
Indeed, a great way to start the day is to have a bowl of whole grain cereal along with skim milk. One could also opt for other milk based products like yogurt or cottage cheese.
This green vegetable offers many nutritional benefits that help to counter stress.
• It is a rich source of vitamins C, A and B complex
• There are any minerals included here like potassium, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium
If one consumes a cup of spinach daily they will surely feel the relaxing effect of the vegetable on themselves. One can add the vegetable in their wraps, sandwiches as well as in omelets or salads. The vegetable is known to have other beneficial nutritional properties for which the immune system is also well fortified by its regular consumption.
Almonds among nuts are great snack options when one is stressed.
• The nuts are high in vitamins like B and E
• The minerals that it contains are healthy oils, zinc and magnesium
• It is a great form of fiber
One can consume the nuts in their raw or the roasted form. The nuts are frequently added in baked items and desserts. Not only are the stress hormones reduced, blood pressure is reduced and energy levels boosted when one takes up a handful of almonds every so often.
6. Dark Chocolate
A favorite stress buster for many people is dark chocolate. Not only will chocolate lovers be relieved to hear this, they will also be able to enjoy it as it does not interfere with weight loss measures.
• Dark chocolate contains magnesium which helps to fight stress, fatigue, irritability and depression
• Dark chocolates can help to boost our moods and reduce our stress levels
• One could even try a warm glass of chocolate milk or any dessert with dark chocolate as a way to fight stress
An ounce and a half of dark chocolate can be consumed for its stress fighting benefits.
It is known that fish is good for health especially cold water fishes like salmon. It is also good to bust stress causing hormones.
• It contains good amount of omega-3 fatty acids
• These help to control inflammations
• Happy brain chemicals are boosted by theses fatty acids
• The brain cells can function more efficiently
It is suggested that two or three servings of salmon every week is good for stress as well as for the brain. One could also try other oily fishes like sardines, mackerel and tuna.
Oranges are not only great for your overall health but they also have unique stress fighting properties.
• Oranges are rich in vitamin C which can help boost the immunity levels
• It is rich in antioxidants which can help fight free radicals
• The free radicals that are released when one is stressed are fought by oranges
• Vitamins A and B as well as other minerals help to promote overall good health
If one consumes a glass of fresh orange juice daily they will not only be boosting their good health levels but also fight stress and feel good.
9. Brown Rice
Brown rice has many properties which can help to keep the body healthy as well as keep stress at bay.
• It contains the vitamin B complex which helps to keep the tissues, organs and cells healthy
• The vitamins that it contains helps many kinds of biochemical reactions like keeping the red blood cells, brain function and cardiac functions in order
• There is less stress in one’s life and one is less prone to suffer from mood disorders
If one consumes brown rice products they will be able to contain their irritability and moodiness well.
Avocado consists of many vital nutrients which help one to fight stress.
• It consists of protein, minerals and vitamin C and E
• There is high amount of fiber, healthy fats and potassium
• Such nutrients help to keep the nerve cells and the brain cells healthy
• If one consumes a fresh avocado they will soon see their stress hormones reducing and blood pressure remaining under control
While one can consume the fruit as part of bakery goods, smoothies and other packaged products, it is best to consume the fruit in its fresh form.
Walnuts have unique properties for which it is recommended to those who lead stressful lives.
• It helps to lower blood pressure
• The spike in blood pressure related to stress is controlled
The food experts recommend that one should consume one and a half ounces of walnuts in order to reduce blood pressure as well as keep the heart healthy.
12. Vitamin B6
One should consume foods that are rich in the vitamin B6 as it has many benefits for those who lead stressful lives.
• This vitamin helps to produce serotonin hormone
• This in turn has calming and healing feelings
The foods that are rich in B6 vitamins are:
• Sunflower seeds
• Sweet potatoes
These health foods can be incorporated as healthy snack options in order to keep hunger as well as stress at bay.
13. Sunflower Seeds
Sunflower seeds are another small but important food source for countering stress levels.
• These seeds contain high amount of folate which helps the body to release feel good hormones
• The chemicals in the sunflower seeds help one to control their emotional responses
14. Fresh Fruits And Vegetables
It is important that one remembers their daily requirements of fresh fruits and vegetables which can work as stress busters as well.
• Fruits like citrus fruits help one to feel refreshed and in good mood
• Green vegetables like spinach help one to fight the anxiety causing hormones and to lower blood pressure levels
15. Whole Grains
Carbohydrates are known to have calming effects and if one chooses to have complex carbs it will provide better health benefits.
• Carbohydrates are known to release serotonin which calms the nerves
• The right kind of carbohydrates can help one to gain stress busting effects without adding on unnecessary calories to the system
If one chooses to have wild rice, oatmeal or popped popcorn they will be able to keep the blood sugar levels steady and allow one to feel full for a longer period of time.
Feeling the effects of stress on your health? Are you unable to reduce the negative effects through relaxation techniques? You need to change your diet accordingly to see positive effects of the stress busting techniques you employ.