To have healthy hair, one needs to have a healthy scalp. So, it is necessary to provide the nutrients for the scalp and to maintain the health of the scalp. Apple cider vinegar is an age-old remedy for keeping the scalp and hair healthy. This is one of the popular methods to cleanse the scalp as it is easily available and is cost effective. When you use organic ACV on the hair, it cleanses the hair and reduces hair-loss caused by various reasons. It is very effective in preventing dry scalp and dandruff and reduces itching. Vinegar has the ability to control the growth of bacteria and fungi which clogs the hair follicles from where the hair grows.
How ACV is Good For Your Scalp And Hair?
People from different parts have been using ACV as a health remedy for food preservation, and for the cosmetic problems in the skin. This remedy makes a shiny appearance to your hair and makes it healthy. Here are the facts which make ACV a great option to maintain or improve scalp health and thereby improving hair growth.
- Apple cider vinegar, when used in a proper concentration, can act as a disinfectant for scalp by preventing the growth of fungus. This is highly efficient in removing itchy and dry scalp conditions
- It is rich in active enzymes, malic acid and has an antiseptic property which prevents the growth of, bacterial and yeast infection causing itchy scalp.
- It has antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which prevent various infections that may affect your scalp and cause hair loss
- It maintains the pH balance of the scalp, thus preventing the scalp from any infections and dryness
- It acts as a natural cleanser for hair and scalp as the acetic acid present in ACV removes dirt and any remnants of styling gels and shampoos and makes your hair look softer and lighter.
- The clogged follicles get opened when ACV is applied on the scalp and act like a conditioner
- The acidic content of the vinegar reduces flaking and itchiness
- Vinegar contains essential nutrients like potassium, iron, Vitamins A, C, B1, B6, which provide perfect nutrients for the growth of hair
- The alpha-hydroxy acids present in the ACV removes the dead top layers of the scalp and thoroughly helps in preventing scalp psoriasis
- ACV with its alkaline nature prevents scalp problems and also help to heal small scratches on the scalp.
Best Ways To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Scalp and Hair
There are plenty of problems that are faced by your scalp in your day to day activities. Some of the most common scalp problems are flaking, dandruff, itchiness and dryness. You normally use the conditioners and shampoos to get rid of these problems. But, why not try using the following apple cider vinegar methods to treat your scalp naturally and to make it problem free. The following are some of the ways you can use ACV to treat various scalp problems.
Method 1 (Vinegar Rinse)
A vinegar rinse for the scalp is an effective and natural way by which you will be able to keep your scalp healthy and prevent itchiness and flaking.
- In a small bowl, take ¼ cup of vinegar and ¾ cup of water and mix well.
- Pour this mixture into an empty spray or squeeze bottle.
- Rinse your hair with this solution in between the shampooing and conditioning of your hair.
- Pour the mixture into the roots of your hair and allow it to sit on your scalp for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Massage your scalp occasionally and rinse it off from your scalp after 5 minutes.
- Now apply the conditioner on your hair from roots to the end and then pat it dry.
- This will help in reducing the itchy feeling and make the scalp healthy.
Method 2: (ACV or Plain White Vinegar)
Follow this process to treat dry, itchy, dry itchy scalp and hair problems.
- Mix ¼ cup of organic ACV or white vinegar to a cup of water and pour it into an empty spray bottle.
- Now apply the mixture generously all over your scalp and hair while bathing.
- Massage it gently into your scalp so that it reaches completely and sits all over your hair.
- Allow it to sit on your hair for 3 to 5 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
- Now apply shampoo on your hair and rinse it off and then pat dry.
Method 3 (Diluted Vinegar)
- Add ¼ cup of white vinegar in a ½ cup of water and mix it well.
- Pour the mixture into a clean spraying bottle.
- Spray this solution on your hair and scalp evenly.
- Allow it to rest on your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes and then rinse it off.
- This process will help in treating the itchy scalp, dry scalp and dandruff.
Method 4 (White Vinegar)
- In a bowl, take ½ cup vinegar and to this add 2 cups of warm water. Mix well.
- After you have shampooed your hair, use this vinegar mixture to rinse your hair.
- You can even add a few drops of sage oil to this mixture. Now allow this mixture to rest on your scalp for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair completely and repeat this process every week.
Apple Cider Vinegar To Prevent Scalp Buildup
If you are a person who is using hair styling products on your hair, it is difficult to remove the product buildup on the scalp by shampooing alone. Giving an Apple cider vinegar rinse for the scalp and hair will help in removing this buildup efficiently.
Method 1 (Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and an equal amount of water
- After shampooing and conditioning, massage this solution into hair and scalp
- Leave it on the hair and scalp for 5 minutes and rinse off completely
- Repeat the remedy whenever you use styling products on the hair to make your scalp and hair clean and healthy
Method 2 (ACV With Shampoo And Conditioner)
- Mix one part of apple cider vinegar with 3 parts of water or as required according to the length of the hair
- Wet your hair and use a clarifying shampoo on the entire length of the hair and scalp and lather it.
- Take a brush with wide bristles and gently brush the scalp in the circular movement
- Wash off the shampoo with cold water and apply the prepared apple cider solution
- Massage into the scalp for about 3 minutes
- Rinse the hair with cold water to remove the vinegar
- Now apply the conditioner and comb the hair from root to the tip
- Cover the hair using a shower cap and leave the conditioner on the hair for 20-30 minutes
- Wash your hair with water after 30 minutes to get shiny and silky hair with a clean scalp.
Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Dry Itchy Scalp
ACV helps to balance the pH level of the scalp and to relieve dryness and itchiness. Here is how to use it
- Take 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of honey and 3-4 drops of soy oil or olive oil 3-4 drops of peppermint and tea tree oil
- Mix all the ingredients and pour it into a microwave safe bottle
- Shake well and microwave the bottle for 10 seconds
- Apply this to the hair by dividing the hair into small parts
- Tie up the hair after applying the solution
- After 10 minutes, rinse off with shampoo and water
Apple Cider Vinegar For Hair And Scalp
Apple cider vinegar helps to get rid of excess oil and dead skin and cleanses the hair and scalp. It moisturizes the hair and prevents dryness. You will find itchiness and be flaking reduced after using ACV for cleaning the hair and scalp
Method 1 (ACV with coconut oil and avocado)
- Mix equal parts of ACV and water
- Pour it into a spray bottle and spray the mix on to the hair and scalp
- Divide the hair into parts and cover the scalp with this mix
- Allow the scalp to soak in the mix for 5-10 minutes
- Rinse the vinegar using tea tree oil-containing shampoo
- Allow the shampoo to remain on the hair for 2-3 minutes and wash it off
- Make a puree of one avocado and add two tablespoon coconut oil to it
- Mix well and apply this mix to the hair and massage well
- Avocado and coconut oil has a moisturizing and hydrating effect on the scalp and hair
- Cover your hair using a shower cap
- Leave the mask on hair for 20-30 minutes
- Rinse it off with water and a mild shampoo
- Repeat the remedy at least once in a week to cleanse and hydrate your hair and scalp
Method 2 (Vinegar And Baking Soda)
- Take required amount of baking soda to cover your hair length and mix it with water to make a solution
- Start applying this mixture from the roots of the hair and scalp.
- Massage the scalp in a circular motion to cleanse it.
- Wash of the solution with warm water
- Now take 1part vinegar and mix it with 4 parts of water
- You can add some essential oil to get rid of the smell of vinegar
- Apply this to the head and hair.
- Make sure the whole scalp is covered with this mix
- Leave it on the hair for five minutes and rinse with cool water
Method 3 (Vinegar)
- In this method wash the hair using the shampoo at first
- Take ½ cup of vinegar and add to 2 cups of warm water
- Rinse your hair using this mixture
- Leave it on the hair for 30 minutes
- Wash it thoroughly with water
- Follow the remedy twice a week to get the best results.
ACV To Control Itchy Scalp
ACV effectively controls itchy scalp by moisturizing the hair and cleansing the hair
Method 1 (Diluted Vinegar)
- Wash and dry the hair
- Take equal parts of ACV and water
- Apply this solution on the scalp using a cotton ball
- Massage the scalp for a few minutes so that the solution spreads to all parts of the scalp
- Allow the solution to act on the scalp for 15 minutes
- Wash it off using shampoo and water
- Continue the remedy once or twice in a week, till you get complete relief from itchy scalp
Method 2 (Vinegar)
- Clean your hair using shampoo
- Mix 3 tablespoons of vinegar and one cup water
- Apply this mix to the wet hair
- Make sure that the solution covers your scalp
- Massage the scalp for few minutes
- Wash off with water thoroughly
ACV For Dandruff And Dry Scalp
Try the following methods if you are suffering from dandruff and dry scalp
Method 1 (Vinegar Rinse)
- Take 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and add it to 2 cups of warm water
- After shampooing and rinsing apply this mix on the hair and scalp
- Leave the solution on the hair
- Once your hair is dry there will not be any smell as you are using diluted vinegar
- Continue this process twice a week to make the scalp and hair healthy and shining
Method 2 (ACV With Coconut Oil And Tea Tree Oil)
- Mix equal quantity of vinegar and water
- Massage your hair and scalp using this mix
- Keep the solution on hair for about 10-15 minutes
- Rinse the hair using shampoo containing tea tree oil
- When the hair is completely dry, apply coconut oil and give a gentle massage
- Continue this remedy for 4-5 days to remove dandruff and dry scalp
Vinegar To Treat Itchy Scalp And Dandruff
Vinegar contains certain enzymes and acids, which kills the Bacillus bacteria which is responsible for hair problems like the flaky scalp, itchy scalp, hair loss, dandruff, etc.
Method 1 (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Wet your hair thoroughly
- Take ½ cup of ACV and apply it to the wet hair and scalp and massage the scalp.
- Leave it on the hair for 20 minutes and rinse it off with water
- Repeat this 2-3 times a week to get rid of dandruff and itchy scalp
Method 2 (ACV with tea tree oil)
- To half cup ACV, add 5-6 drops of tea tree oil which has anti-dandruff properties
- Mix the above ingredients in a cup of water
- Apply this to the hair and gently rub the scalp
- Leave it for 5 minutes
- Wash the hair using shampoo and water
ACV Rinse To Get Rid Of Itchy Scalp
To get rid of itchy scalp use ACV rinse. This can be done in two methods
Method 1 (vinegar with rosemary, Aloe vera and honey)
- Take ½ cup vinegar and water, 3 tablespoons aloe vera juice, 1 teaspoon rosemary oil and honey
- Mix all the ingredients and pour into a spray bottle
- Spray this mix on to your scalp and massage well
- Cover the head using a shower cap for 20 minutes
- After 20 minutes take off the cap and rinse with cold water, conditioner and shampoo
Method 2 (ACV And Baking Soda Rinse)
- Make a paste of 1 tablespoon baking soda with water
- Rub this paste on your scalp and leave it for a few minutes
- Take ¼ cup of ACV and mix it a ½ cup of water and pour it over the forehead so that it spreads into the scalp
- Rinse off the mix after 10 minutes and dry the hair naturally.
- Repeat the remedy once in a week
Apple Cider Vinegar For Scalp Fungus
Scalp fungus is a condition in which your scalp has fungus due to excess oil and dirt deposits which cause intolerable itching. Vinegar is capable of removing fungus and protects your scalp from fungal infections. The important natural method to remove fungus are given here
Method 1 (Vinegar And Water)
- Take 2 cups of any vinegar and slightly heat it
- Allow this to cool and then add 1/4 cup of this to a cup of water and mix well
- Apply this solution on your hair before shampooing
- Leave the solution on scalp for ten minutes and wash it off with a mild shampoo
- Now apply quality conditioner to the hair
- After conditioning again apply 1/8 cups of the solution to rinse scalp and hair
- Leave this to dry
- Continue using the remedy at least twice a week till your scalp is free of fungus and dandruff.
Method 2 (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take equal amount of apple cider vinegar and water
- Mix it well and apply this on your scalp after shampooing the hair
- Massage the scalp with the solution starting from the neck and moving towards the forehead.
- Leave the solution on the hair for about 5-7 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
Vinegar To Treat Flaky Scalp
The dead and dried skin cells on the scalp are known as the flaky scalp. The flaky scalp causes itching by trapping dust and sweat and leads to dandruff problem. Flakes on the scalp, prevent the production of natural oil by the hair follicles. Vinegar applied to the scalp removes the dirt and dead cells and maintains the pH level. It also moisturizes the hair. There are two ways of using vinegar for flaky scalp.
Method 1 (Vinegar Solution)
- Take 2 tablespoons of vinegar in 1cup water. You can use either normal vinegar or ACV.
- Apply the vinegar solution thoroughly on the scalp
- Keep the vinegar solution for a few minutes on the scalp and then rinse it with water
- Repeat this remedy twice in a week to remove the dead skin cells on the scalp too and to have cleansed and itch-free scalp.
Method 2 (Olive Oil And Vinegar)
- Take two tablespoons of olive oil and warm it for a few seconds
- Apply this olive oil on the scalp and massage well
- 30 minutes after applying comb the hair thoroughly
- Use water mixed with vinegar to rinse the hair. You can use 2 cups of water mixed in 10 liters of water.
- You can dry the hair like that or you can wash the hair in running water for a few minutes.
Treating Scalp Psoriasis With ACV
When plaque develops on the scalp as thick patches that area appears red and inflamed, it is known as scalp psoriasis. Any type of vinegar has been used for centuries to kill the bacteria causing itching any irritation caused by psoriasis and to prevent the disease as well. Two methods for treating scalp psoriasis given below
Method 1 ACV
- Take two tablespoons of ACV and mix it with one cup of water
- Pour this mixture into a spray bottle and shake well
- Use this mixture to spray on the scalp infected by psoriasis
- You can also dip the washcloth in the diluted vinegar solution and apply it on psoriasis affected areas.
- Keeping the mixture in the refrigerator will reduce the itching and irritation when this remedy is applied to the scalp.
- You should not try this remedy if you have open sores, cracked skin or bleeding sores on your scalp.
Method 2 (Soaking In Vinegar)
- Take 1-2 cups of vinegar and add it to your bath water
- Clean your hair using a shampoo to remove excess oil and dirt.
- Rinse off shampoo and dry the scalp
- Apply the vinegar solution on psoriasis affected areas of the scalp for a few minutes
- Dry the hair
ACV For Dry Scalp Treatment
The overuse of artificial shampoos and hair styling products on your scalp and hair will leave your hair itchy and also make your hair dry. ACV has anti-bacterial properties that will kill the bacteria that cause flaky, dandruff and dry. The following are the ways you can use apple cider vinegar to treat dry scalp.
Method 1 (White Vinegar)
- In a bowl, add a quarter cup of vinegar with a cup of water and leave it aside.
- Shampoo your hair with a natural shampoo and rinse it off completely.
- Now apply conditioner to your hair and scalp and allow it to stay on the hair for 3 to 5 minutes. After that, rinse off the conditioner.
- Squeeze out the extra water on your hair. Use your fingertips to massage your hair.
- Now pour the vinegar rinse over your head by making sure that it gets in contact with your scalp.
- Leave it to rest on your scalp for 5 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
- You can now go for a final rinse with water once again.
Method 2 (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Pour cold water on your hair to clear all dust and dirt.
- Use a cotton ball to dip in a bowl that contains apple cider vinegar.
- Now press the cotton ball on every inch of your scalp in such a manner that ACV gets in contact with your scalp.
- Allow it to sit for 10 to 15 minutes on your scalp and then wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat this process twice every week to get complete relief from dry scalp.
Method 3 (Apple Cider Vinegar with Conditioners)
- In a saucepan, add three cups of water and a handful of rosemary. Bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to simmer position and then cook the water for about 45 minutes.
- Strain this mixture and then allow it to cool at room temperature.
- Now add ½ cup of apple cider vinegar to this solution along with a few drops of rosemary and peppermint oils.
- Mix this solution well and then store it in a glass spray bottle.
- Use this solution after shampooing. Leave it to rest on your scalp for a few minutes.
- Rinse it off and then pat dry your hair. You will feel nourishment in your scalp and hair.
Method 4 (Apple Cider Vinegar)
- Take ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar and use it on your head after shampooing and rinsing your hair
- Now use your fingertips to massage the ACV on your scalp and hair for a few minutes.
- Get out of the shower without washing off the applied ACV from your scalp and hair.
Method 5 (Apple Cider Vinegar with Beer)
- In a bowl, take 2 cups of beer and to the beer add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- Beer is a natural conditioner and will help in nourishing the hair to clear the dryness. It is also very effective on dry scalp.
- Stir the solution well and then apply it on to your scalp and hair after you have shampooed your hair with a good natural shampoo.
- Allow it to rest on your scalp and hair for a few minutes.
- Now use your fingertips to massage your scalp for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse the solution of your scalp and repeat the process twice a week to break free from dry scalp condition.
Method 6 (Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse)
- Ina bowl, add equal quantities of water and apple cider vinegar so that it can cover your scalp.
- Mix these two solutions well and apply it on your scalp.
- Massage the ACV- water solution on your scalp and hair for 10 to 20 minutes.
- Was it off with water and then apply a good shampoo.
- This will help your hair get the nourishment it needs. It will help in preventing dry scalp and dryness problems.
Tips for Using Apple Cider Vinegar on Scalp
Follow the tips given here to get additional benefits for using apple cider vinegar on the scalp
- Add any type of vinegar to the shampoo or conditioner you are using and apply it on hair to create the lather. After 10 minutes, rinse off the lather to reduce scalp problem
- Usually the diluted solution of vinegar won’t burn the scalp, however, if you are feeling burning or irritation after applying the mix, rinse off and apply more diluted vinegar.
- Some people may not like the smell of apple cider vinegar. The smell will dissipate once you wash the hair with water and when the hair gets dried. If you are still finding it difficult to adjust to the smell, dilute it more and apply.
- You should not apply vinegar on your oiled hair. The oil prevents the penetration of vinegar into scalp.
- Repeat the methods whenever possible to prevent scalp infection
- You can also include the vinegar in your diet in the form of salad dressing or using it as preservatives for fruits and vegetables to get the benefits.
- If you are suffering from scalp infections it is better to opt for organic, unfiltered and unpasteurized vinegar with mother in it.