Image Credit: Tim McCune(timatymusic) flickr
Bad breath is mostly caused due to poor dental health habits and other health habits. Medical name of bad breath is halitosis. The food you eat and unhealthy lifestyle habits also affect the breath.
Things you eat also affect your breath:
Commonly whatever food we eat should be chewed in the mouth. After digesting food is absorbed in the body’s blood stream, which is carried to the lungs and comes out in the breath. Foods with strong odors like onion and garlic, following several things like flossing, brushing and mouth washing which hardly reduces the bad breath and it does not help you cover the odor. The foods should pass out from the body in order to kill the odor.
Poor habits do cause Bad Breath:
Brushing and flossing should be done on a regular basis; if not the food particles which remain in the teeth after you eat produces bacteria around the gums, in between the teeth and around the tongue which increases the chances of causing bad breath. Dentures should be cleaned properly to get rid of the odor causing bacteria and food particles.
Tobacco based products and habits like smoking are also responsible for the cause of bad breath, resulting teeth to get stained, damaging taste glands and irritating sensation in gums.
Health Problems those are associated with Bad Breath:
Mostly gum diseases are caused due to bad breath. Symptoms of gum diseases like periodontal are causing bad taste in mouth or persistent bad breath. Plaque that is built up on the teeth causes gum diseases. Irritation occurs in the gums because of the toxins that are formed in the mouth which are caused by bacteria. There is chance of your jawbone and gums to get damaged, due to improper treatment of gum disease.
Dental appliances that are poorly fit, yeast infections of mouth and dental caries are some of the other causes of bad breath.
Dry mouth which is medically called xerostomia also causes ad breath. In order to keep the mouth wet, moisten and cleansing the mouth producing some neutralized acids with the help of plaque and washing away dead cells which are gathered on tongue, gums and teeth, saliva is needed. If dead cells are decomposed bad breath can be caused. Breathing through mouth, problems of salivary gland and side effects of various medications causes dry mouth.
Illness or several other diseases also cause bad breath. Infections like pneumonia or bronchitis which are related to respiratory tract, sinus infections, postnasal drip, chronic acid reflux and liver or kidney problems should be aware of.
In social situations like talking to someone, it will be uncomfortable, uneasy and unpleasant if you are having bad breath.
A simple solution that quickly covers the bad breath is chewing a mint, but this does not help in finding out the main cause of bad breath. Deficiency in diet is also a reason for causing bad breath. Foods you eat, your habits and your health conditions cause bad breath.
Examine Your Hygiene Habits:
Following certain habits like swishing with hydrogen peroxide solution and baking soda, periodic teeth cleanings, flossing and brushing before and after meals, cleaning your tongue will help you reduce bad breath. If problem still remains the same, it can be considered that some health problem or deficiency in nutrition is making your mouth cause bad breath.
Here are some of the simple and quick home remedies that can help you get rid of bad breath (halitosis). Following the natural remedies listed below will help you cure bad breath issues
Before going for remedies you need to take certain precautions to control and get rid of bad breath
- Regularly brush and floss your teeth daily two times. Clean your mouth thoroughly.
- Always brush your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste to eliminate plaque and food debris
- Using floss will help in the removal of food and bacteria that is trapped between your teeth, as the trapped food is not going to smell good. Sometimes bad breath may lead to periodontal disease.
- Use a tongue cleaner. Clean or brush your tongue properly, as the bacteria left behind on your tongue leads to bad breath.
- Ditch wearing your dentures during sleep, clean them thoroughly and leave them outside to dry until next morning.
- Drinking lots of water will help you get rid of bad breath. This helps you a lot as, the main reason for bad breath id dehydration. Drinking water helps you ward off the bacteria in your mouth throughout the day.
- Smelly breath may be caused due to a dry mouth. Generally, dry mouth is caused as a result of dead cells decomposition, which may cause bad odour. Saliva always helps you keep your mouth clean. The antibacterial action of saliva helps you wash off trapped food particles and also neutralizes bacteria. Saliva flow will be less in the nights; this is the reason why you have bad breath smells after waking up early in the morning. Saliva production gets stimulated if you suck some sugarless mints or chew gum.
- Be careful while choosing gums, select gums that have the ability to fight bad breath. Cinnamon flavor will help reduce bacteria in your mouth and the gum that contains xylitol helps you prevent the bacteria from replicating.
- Stress always dries out your mouth, resulting in bad breath. So never stress out
- Do not take potent foods like onions, garlic or any foods that contain sulfur compounds. Even some kinds of fish, like anchovies, seaweed have some fishy amine odors. Though tasty they have pungent odour so avoid such foods, as they may cause bad breath.
- Make a habit of using mouthwash, as it always keeps your mouth wet and prevents your mouth from smelling badly.
- Avoid chewing or smoking tobacco-based products, as they may lead to bad smell in your mouth.
- Swish water after every meal. This will stipulate the production of saliva.
If the problem of bad breath still persists they go ahead and follow some simple natural home remedies or if the problem is very severe then consult your dentist, as neglecting this problem may cause various health disorders like diabetic ketoacidosis, tonsil stones etc.
Simple natural remedies to avoid bad breath:
Baking soda is an effective treatment for bad breath. It helps you clean your teeth properly and get fresh breath. In order to get fresh breath, dip a damp toothbrush into baking soda and brush your teeth.
Fresh vegetables help you to get rid of bad odour. Vegetables like celery and carrots and celery, fight against bacteria and plaque and makes your breath smelling good.
Eat banana and apples
If you are dieting, then while breaking down fat ketones are created, usually these ketones smell very bad, some of these kotones that are released in the mouth cause bad breath. To avoid this, eat card-rich foods such as bananas and apples.
Also remember that, foods like garlic, onions, coffee and cheese stink badly, so avoid eating these notorious foods
Bad breath may also be caused due to many reasons like heavy metal build up, overgrowth of yeast, and other release of various toxins inside the body. To avoid this problem you need to flush out the system with the help of dietary intervention.
Some herbs like stinging nettle will help eliminate toxins from your body and also helps in purifying the blood. It stimulates the lymphatic system and boosts the uric acid excretion through your kidneys, and improves adrenal function, to get rid of halitosis.
Supplement with Zinc
Deficiency of zinc mineral leads to poor healing, halitosis, immunity and inflammation. Intake of zinc supplements helps you maintaining a bacteria-free and clean mouth. Some of the foods that are rich in zinc are cacao, pumpkin, gourd seeds, organ meats and some mouthwashes with antimicrobial action help you in getting rid of harmful germs.
Bad breath may be caused due to poor gut health. The digestive tract will be filled with toxins, due to excessive usage of antibiotics and poor dietary habits. These habits will leave your digestive system in mess and bad breath may be caused as a side effect. Supplementing with foods that are rich in probiotics like yogurt, kombucha tea and fermented sauerkraut, is a natural remedy for eliminating bad breath.
Low fat cheese will help in fighting plaque and mouth odor.
By the name itself it is understood that chewing some of the aromatic seeds like cloves, cardamoms, or fennel seeds after every meals will eliminate bad breath, as these spices contains antimicrobial properties.
Apple cider vinegar
Excessive gas in your body results in bad breath, gas exiting from mouth makes the breath smelly. Take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed with water before every meal makes the digestion process to run more smoothly.
Include raw foods in your diet
Raw foods such as vegetables and crunchy fruits including celery, carrots, and apples respectively are very rich in fibre and fights bad breath effectively.
These raw foods help you in scraping out the plaque, which causes mild bad breath. Along with this raw foods acts as supplements in providing nutrients that help in immune-boosting. They also help in triggering bacteria-fighting saliva production inside your mouth.
Gargle salt water
Gargling salt water will help you in eliminating bacteria present in your tonsils and throat. Crystal salt is highly recommended for salt water gargle.
You might find the use of colon cleanse in order to control bad breath, when body toxic levels reaches the limit. Once done with the colon cleanse move on to a liver cleanse for better results.
Use a mouth spray or mouthwash to provide a temporary solution for your bad breath problem. But choose a mouthwash that doesn’t have alcohol. Intake of alcohol may enhance the risk of oral cancer.
Follow all these home remedies to control bad odour and attain oral health. Start today and give your best to keep your smelling mouth fresh.