What Is Low Blood Pressure?
A blood pressure reading of 90 millimetres of mercury or less during systole and 60mm of mercury or less during diastole is considered as low blood pressure. This condition is known as hypo tension in medical terms. Low blood pressure can cause dizziness, vomiting sensation and fainting. In severe cases, low blood pressure is life threatening. When blood pressure is low, the brain fails to get an adequate supply of blood and cause fainting. Low blood pressure is caused by various conditions such as heart problems, endocrine problems, dehydration, and lack of nutrients in diet, medications, blood loss or pregnancy. Depending on the reason for low blood pressure, you can take certain preventive steps to avoid the symptoms and can use some home remedies to get rid of the symptoms.
Home Remedies And Lifestyle Changes
1. Increase Your Salt Intake
Include more salt or salty foods in your diet. Salt helps to increase the blood pressure.
- Take a glass of water add ½ teaspoon of salt into it
- Drink this twice a day, if you are constantly having low blood pressure.
If you are feeling dizziness due to low blood pressure take this remedy to get instant effect.
- Mix two tablespoons of honey in a glass of water
- Add a pinch of salt into it and drink this mix
3. Almond Milk
This is a highly beneficial home remedy for low blood pressure.
- Take almond milk as the first thing in the morning.
- This will help to increase the blood pressure.
This is a traditionally used remedy for low blood pressure. You can consume it in different ways to maintain the blood pressure.
- You can eat it as a fruit
- You can use it in salads
- You can have it in the juice form as well
Also Read: Home Remedies for High Blood Pressure
5. Dark coffee
The caffeine present in dark coffee helps to increase the blood pressure instantly. If you have any other health problem avoid this remedy.
- Take 1-2 dark coffee daily or when you feel the warning signs of low blood pressure.
This is a highly beneficial remedy for low blood pressure. Continue this remedy for a few weeks to improve the blood pressure level.
- Soak about 20- 30 raisins in water in a ceramic bowl.
- Next day morning eat the raisins.
- Drink the water in which the raisins were soaked.
7. Increase Water Intake
Dehydration is the cause of low blood pressure in many people. Hence it is necessary to increase the water intake, if you are feeling that your blood pressure is going down.
- Drink 8-10 glass of water
- You can also increase water intake in the form of juices
- The additional fluids help to maintain the blood pressure within the blood vessels.
The raw juice of beet-root is extremely helpful in increasing the blood pressure.
- Take a cup of raw beet-root juice twice a day
- Continue the remedy for at least one week to get the benefit
9. Holy Basil Leaves
This herbal remedy is also very effective in curing low blood pressure. This herb has many medicinal property.
- Crush 10-15 leaves of holy basil or Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum)
- Strain the juice of the leaves
- Mix this juice with one teaspoon of honey
- Have it in empty stomach in the morning
10. Avoid Alcohol
If you are a person consuming alcohol, this may be the reason for your low blood pressure condition. Alcohol causes dehydration of the body leading to low blood pressure even if taken in moderate quantities.
- Totally avoid alcohol consumption and replace it with water intake, if you want to have a normal blood pressure.
11. Change Body Positions Slowly
Sudden changes in body position may cause dizziness in people with low blood pressure.
- Breathe deeply before getting out of the bed in the morning
- Sit up for two minutes before standing
- If get low blood pressure symptoms while standing, put your one foot on a chair and lean forward.
- This will improve the blood circulation to heart and head.
12. Follow A Healthy Diet
It is necessary to make changes in the diet to control the blood pressure. Make sure that your body is getting all the required nutrients. Lack of proper nutrients can cause low blood pressure.
- Include whole grains, fruits, lean chicken, fish and vegetables in your diet.
- Limit the intake of carbohydrate rich food such as rice, potato, bread, pasta etc.
13. Multiple Small Meals
Instead of having three large meals which may cause postprandial fall of blood pressure take multiple small meals. After the meals more blood will be diverted to gastrointestinal tract this will result in reduced blood supply to the heart and the brain causing dizziness.
- Split the same quantity of meals into 5-6 small meals.
- Relatively lesser blood will be needed by the digestive system
14. Mild Exercise
Studies have shown that mild exercises increases blood pressure in people who are having low blood pressure. Avoid strenuous exercises as they can further lower the blood pressure.
- Light exercises like yoga, walking, swimming and cycling are highly helpful to regulate the blood pressure.
- Exercises should be done daily to maintain the blood pressure.
15. Avoid Stress
Stress is an important factor which regulates the blood pressure in people. Avoid all kinds of stress.
- Do not work till late night
- Avoid negative thinking and unnecessary worry
- Have a good night’s sleep
- Practice relaxation techniques
Are you a person with constant low blood pressure symptoms? Are you looking for the best and easily available home remedies to regulate your blood pressure? You can use any of the above home remedies to get rid of low blood pressure? If you feel that you are having serious conditions, do not hesitate to visit the doctor and get the medical treatment.