The redness and irritation of the skin under the breast is known as breast rash. The breast rashes can be itchy and are sometimes painful. In some people it shows worse symptoms like blisters and scaly appearance of the skin. Hot and humid conditions are the main triggers causing the rashes under breasts. In medical terms the rashes occurring in skin folds are known as Interigo. Breast rashes are common in women who are diabetic, overweight or who have large pendulous breasts or during pregnancy. Usually rash under the breast develop when the lower part of the breast rests on the chest and the skin on the chest traps moisture and perspiration. The moisture trapped area becomes the breeding ground of bacteria, fungus and other infections. The redness and itching in the area causes discomfort to the person and are embarrassing. There are several possible causes and one of the most common causes is cutaneous candidiasis, which is a type of yeast infection.
The Different Causes Of Rash Under Breasts
Some of the major causes of rash under breasts are
- Prickly heat
- Breast cancer
1. Prickly Heat
This is also known as malaria rubra. Exposure to humid and hot weather causes prickly heat
- Red itchy bumps develop under the breasts due to the blockage of sweat glands
- Rashes start as tiny blisters and progress to form the bumps
- The rashes usually clear up within a few days
- It is necessary to keep the area cool and dry
Cutaneous candidiasis is a fungal infection. Yeast is a fungus which can grow in the warm and moist areas of the skin.
- The infection causes the skin to become bright red
- In some cases the infected areas start to weep and peel
- Glucose in the perspiration of the person accelerates the yeast growth
- People with poorly controlled diabetes are more prone to yeast infection.
This is caused by a parasite called scabies mite.
- This parasite causes persistent itchy rash as it burrows into the top layer of the skin.
- Groups of reddish bumps with fine wavy lines are the main symptom of this condition
- Though mostly affects armpits, groin, nipples , they can also affect the skin under the breast
Scratching of the skin due to submammary interigo can cause secondary infection of the skin. This infection is usually caused by the bacteria namely Staphylococcus aureus
- This bacteria causes pus filled blisters along with redness and itching
- This infection easily spreads to the surrounding skin.
A rash under breasts can occur due to allergic reactions to some fabrics.
- In some people use of acrylic and polyester brassieres can cause rashes and itching.
- Some women are allergic to the chemicals unused during the manufacturing of clothes.
- It is better to use 100 % organic cotton clothing and bras, if you are allergic to fabrics.
6. Breast Cancer
In some rare cases the rashes under the breasts is an indication of breast cancer.
- A deadly type of cancer called inflammatory breast cancer causes fast spreading rashes and other symptoms such as pain, fatigue and a sensation of heat.
- The rash will appear underneath one or both the breasts.
- It is necessary to seek medical attention, if you suspect that rash is caused by breast cancer.
Preventing Rash Under Breast
There are different methods to prevent rash under breasts. They are
- Keeping the area of the skin moisture and perspiration free
- If the rashes are caused by fungus infections, reduce the starch and sugar intake.
- Wash the area with boric acid solution to prevent the growth of fungus
- Do not use bras made of synthetic clothes
- Do careful laundering of clothes if there are chances of rashes due to scabies mite
- Stress can cause the rashes itchier, so avoid stress to prevent itching of the rashes
- Stay cool as possible by turning on a fan or air conditioner
- Change your soap, or other cosmetic hygiene products which may cause rashes on the skin
- Avoid wearing improperly fitting bra or underwire bra which may cause rash under the breasts
- Use supportive bras which will lift the lower part of the breast from the area touching the chest
- If heavy breasts are the reason for developing rashes , losing weight will help to control the problem
Usually it is easy to prevent or get rid of rash under breasts using home remedies and prevention methods. Rarely it becomes uncontrollable and you will need to consult a doctor to get rid of the problem.
When To See A Doctor?
It is necessary to see a doctor for the rashes under the breasts if, the rashes are accompanied by the following symptoms
• Severe pain
• Rashes or sores that won’t heal
• The signs and symptoms of the breast rashes are getting worse or lasting for more than a week.
Treatments Available for Rash Under Breasts
Though there are many over the counter creams and solutions available to treat rash under breast. Contact dermatitis and itching can be controlled by hydrocortisone creams. Hives and itching can be prevented with antihistamine medications. Since a rash under the breasts is not a very severe condition most of the people prefer to use some home remedies to get rid of the rash problem. There are many effective home remedies available to treat the problem. You will be able to reduce the itching and discomfort considerably using the home remedies. If you feel that the home remedies are not effective for you can consult a doctor, as there will be some underlying cause to the problem.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Rash Under Breasts
Though people compare breast rash with serious disorders of the skin such as eczema and psoriasis, they are very simple to handle. Since the main reasons for rash under the breast are excessive sweating and an ill-fitting bra, the home remedies should be based on avoiding these conditions. You can try the following home remedies to avoid the visit to a doctor.
The heat between the breast and the chest should be reduced to get rid of the rash. You can apply a cold compress to get relief from pain and redness of the skin. Wrap some ice in a thin cotton cloth and put it over the affected areas for five to ten minutes. Repeat the procedure after some time. If you want to get relief from itching and swelling caused by the rashes, use a skim-milk and cold-water compress. This cold compress will help you to protect from infections as well. Always use cold water to bathe, in hot and humid weather conditions. This will keep the pores of the skin closed.
Use Cotton Fabric
Since sweat accumulation is the main reason for rash under breast, try to avoid the accumulation of sweat around the breasts. Use cotton clothing as they help to absorb moisture and keep the skin free from the sweat. You can also place a cotton pad between the lower breast and the skin underneath so that the pad absorbs the excess moisture.
Calamine lotion can be used to get relief from the discomfort caused by rashes. Applying calamine lotion will provide a soothing feeling and provides relief from itching. It will also help in the healing of the rashes faster. Apply calamine lotion to the area using a cotton ball allows it to dry. Calamine lotion prevents the chances of infection.
After bathing and drying the body dust baby powder under the breasts. The baby powder helps to cool the area and absorbs any moisture in the area. If there is no moisture accumulation the heat rash will disappear eventually.
This is considered as one of the most effective ingredients used to get rid of rash under breasts. This remedy will help to deal with the burning and itching sensation associated with breast rash. Clean the affected area with a mild soap and water and pat dry with a clean towel. Once the affected area of the body is completely dry you can dust corn starch lightly over it. Wait for ten minutes and clean the area using cold water. Never apply corn starch when there is moisture in the skin. This will increase the risk of developing fungal infection. Repeat this remedy twice a day to get rid of the rash.
Basil leaves have many medicinal properties. Take few basil leaves and crush them to make a smooth paste. Apply this paste on the affected areas and allow the paste to dry. Rinse off with lukewarm water. You can also make a paste of basil leaves, a tablespoon olive oil two cloves of garlic, salt and pepper and apply it on the rash.
Avoid Sleeping With Bra
Another easy and effective home remedy on how to get rid of rashes under the breasts is to do away with your bras while sleeping at nights. It would be better for you to wear a loose fitting cotton cloth or T-shirt when you hit the bed every night. This will help in easily healing the heat rashes under your breasts. If you are in the peak summer, it is advisable that you sleep without wearing even loose fitting cotton top to prevent from getting rashes under your breasts.
Another effective remedy to treat under breast rashes is to use Neosporin ointment or hydrocortisone cream on the areas where rashes have developed under your breasts. The application of the ointment has to be only applied after you have thoroughly cleaned the affected area with mild soap and water and the area is pat dry. Repeat this process three times a day and you will be able to get rid of rashes within a day or two.
Cooling Skin With A Washcloth
Use a cold washcloth on the affected skin area or on the rashes under your breasts. Make sure that the washcloth is just damp and squeeze out excess water before applying on rashes. Let it rest on the rashes for quite some time. Dry thoroughly and repeat this process three to four times a day to get rid of rashes under breasts.
Never Use Irritants
You might develop rashes under the breasts due to some allergic reaction from cosmetics or a hygiene product. If you suspect that certain lotion or cream or soap is the culprit for rashes, try to change the product and see if rashes still persist.
If you need a solution to your question on how to get rid of rash under breasts, then turmeric that is filled with antibacterial and anti inflammatory as well as antiseptic properties could be the answer. Mix turmeric with water or with milk or with aloe vera gel and apply to the rashes on your skin under the breasts. Leave it there for half an hour and then rinse it off. You will get relief from itching and the rashes will also not spread. Repeat the process few times a day to get rid of rashes effectively and quickly.
Application of lemon juice extracts mixed with three to four teaspoons of water to the rashes area under the breasts will help in preventing the growth of the infection and will also help in quick healing of the skin.
Make a fine paste of 8 to 10 fresh garlic cloves and apply it to the rashes that you see under the breasts. Garlic has antifungal and antiseptic properties and will help in quickly healing the rashes as well as prevent infection from spreading.
The harsh chemical residue left on your washed clothes could also be the culprit that causes rashes under your breasts. You can easily solve this problem by wearing clothes that are washed with half a cup of vinegar solution mixed in half a bucket of water.
Choosing Right Bra
Make sure that you go for a bra that fits comfortably on your breasts and never go for tight ones. Also go for ones that are mixed with cotton and has high grade elastic materials to support the bottom of your breasts.
So, are you worried about the rashes under your breasts? Do you want to try out the best home remedies to easily get rid of the rash problems under your breasts? Then, all you have to do is to go through the above home remedy tips and choose the one that best suits you.