Gout can be classified as a form of arthritis that causes severe pain in the joints. Gout is a result of excessive uric acid in the blood. This uric acid solidifies to form tiny crystal like particles. These crystals are formed in and around the joints which causes lot of discomfort and pain. The common joints that are affected by gout are hands, wrist, fingers, knees, ankles and feet. Excessive intake of vitamin B3 or Niacin also results in Gout. Males are more prone to this disease. In case of females, the occurrence of Gout is seen mostly after menopause.
Causes of Gout
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Soft drinks rich in fructose
- Diseases of bone marrow
- Dairy products
- Kidney disorders
- Vascular diseases
- Excessive consumption of fish and meat
- Physical trauma
- Excessive weight loss
- Excessive usage of diuretics, aspirin or niacin
- Joint pain
- Skin redness
- Nodules in the elbow, hands or ears
- Inflammation of joints
- Persistent discomfort
Natural Herbal Remedies For Gout
Before the invention of modern medicine, people used to find solution for all their health issues with the help of plants and herbs found in nature. These natural remedies were not only effective but also safe and secure. Listed below are some of the best natural remedies for treating gout.
Ginger is a popular home remedy that has many uses.
- Experiments have proved that ginger is also helpful in relieving the symptoms of gout.
- You can either consume ginger by adding it to your regular food. You can use it as an additive while preparing special cuisines.
- Many people make ginger tea in which ginger roots are boiled along with the tea leaves.
- For quick relief from joint pains you can apply some paste of ginger root on the painful areas.
Apple is a great fruit for curing the symptoms of gout. Regular intake of apple can definitely help you in dealing with your gout.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar or ACV is a proven medicine for curing gout. You can dilute a tablespoon of ACV in a glassful of water and have it on a daily basis.
4. Baking Soda
A spoonful of baking soda mixed in water can relieve the symptoms of gout. However, people with hypertension should avoid this remedy.
5. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is an effective and simple remedy for getting relief from gout symptoms.
- Mix the juice of half a lemon in a glass of water and have it. Repeat it three times in a day and watch the difference.
- Alternatively, you can mix baking soda (½ tablespoon) in to this lemon juice and have it.
[Don’t Miss: Most Effective Home Remedies for Gout]
Banana is a rich source of Vitamin C. Eating bananas can help in curing the symptoms of gout. The rich contents of banana have the potential to dilute the crystals of uric acid into a liquid and thus help the body in eliminating it.
Cherry is an excellent solution for painful gout. Eat around 20 fresh cherries on a regular basis and watch the difference. Alternatively, you can also have a glass of cherry juice to get the same result.
8. Cold Water
For immediate relief from joint pain you can apply ice onto your joints.
- However, note that you should not expose the joints to direct ice. This is not a good idea. You should wrap the ice in a thick towel and place it against the painful areas for around 10 minutes. This will reduce the pain and swelling.
- Instead of ice you can also use cold water. This is especially good in reducing the pain in the foot joints.
9. Epsom Salt
Bathing in warm water mixed with Epsom salt can reduce the pain and discomfort caused by gout. You should mix around 2 cups of Epsom salt to get the desired effect. Repeat this 2 to 3 times in a week.
10. Charcoal Powder
- Bathing in warm water mixed with charcoal powder can help in relieving the symptoms of gout. This is quite an effective remedy. Note that you should mix a paste of charcoal into your bathing water and allow the paste to spread evenly.
- You can even consume a bit of activated charcoal to get relief from acute pain. However, note that the quantity should be very less.
Eating pineapple or drinking pineapple juice can help in curing the symptoms of gout.
Drink lots of water. If you are well hydrated, your gout symptoms will not exacerbate.
Grapes are an amazing remedy for gout.
Bathing in warm water can help you in relaxing your joints and muscles. This can relieve the pain temporarily.
15. Juniper Oil
Applying juniper oil can heal the symptoms of gout.
16. Devil’s Claw
Devils claw was used in traditional medicine to heal pains and aches. It has also been found effective in treating gout. Note that this remedy should be avoided in case of people suffering from diseases of blood like diabetes.
17. Elm Leaf Tea
Elm leaf tea is a quick remedy for acute gout pain.
You can heal your gout symptoms by take a safflower capsule. Safflower has been found effective in healing gout.
19. French Beans
Regular intake of French beans juice for about a month can help you in recovering from gout.
A mixture of honey and apple cider vinegar can help in curing gout. This mixture should be taken two times in a day.
Mustard has a soothing effect on our nerves. Apply a paste of mustard powder and wheat powder on the affected areas. Leave it overnight and you will experience quick relief from your symptoms.
Take a mixed juice of cucumber, beet root and carrot. Theses vegetables have the potential to cure the symptoms of gout.
23. Castor Oil
Applying warm castor oil onto the joints can reduce the pain.
Homeopathic remedies are quite popular in treating arthritis and related diseases. Mentioned below are some of the most effective remedies for healing gout.
Aconite can offer quick relief from painful gout attacks. This medicine has proved more effective in soothing the painful joints in the feet.
Colchicum is an effective medicine for treating the gout symptoms of joint pain and redness.
Ledum is yet another powerful remedy that helps in healing the joints of the feet. This remedy is recommended in case of coldness near the joints.
Belladonna is effective in curing the inflammation, swelling and discoloration caused by gout. It also helps in relieving the pain.
Bryonia, Calcarea, Rhododendron, fluorica, Urtica urens, Lycopodium, Berberis vulgaris, Sulphur, Rhus toxicodendron are some of the other remedies in homeopathy that can heal the symptoms of gout.
Steps For Preventing Gout
- Drink more water
- Balanced diet
- Start taking fruit and vegetable juices
- Avoid alcohol
- Reduce excess weight
- Avoid foodstuffs that contain purine. Red meat, tofu, fish are some of the best examples.
- Eat fruits rich in vitamin C and potassium like oranges, bananas and apples.
- Drink lemon juice after meals
- Avoid diuretics
- Avoid fructose-rich soft drinks
- Drink low-fat milk
- Eat salads and green vegetables.
Are you suffering from painful gout? Are you tired of recurrent join pain and swelling? Are you looking for a permanent remedy for gout? Try the aforementioned natural remedies and experience the power of nature.